Friday, May 6, 2011

Say Goodbye to EHow's WCP Earnings

Wave goodbye to EHow's WCP.
Photo: Aleksandra P
Hi all,

If you haven't already heard yet, EHow announced they are ending the WCP and will be offering past EHow contributors a buyout of their articles.  As of May 31st, if you haven't accepted your buyout, you will lose it and your articles will be deleted.  So, if you used to write for EHow and you earn revenue share money there and you haven't yet received an e-mail about the buyout, then you need to go check your account there.  Sign into your account and click the Articles tab.  Above your articles should be a notice about the program ending.  Follow the prompts to find out your buyout. 

Felicia at No Job For Mom explains the details of the EHow WCP ending, so for more information, click here.

As for me, I am sad to see this revenue share program go.  Since last November, my articles there were earning double their normal rate and my monthly EHow income doubled.  At the rate I was going, I would have ended this year with twice the income without having to do a thing.  While the buyout offer I received was good, it was about what I'd made in 2010 at EHow, so it's not as good as I probably would have made this year.  I know there are a lot of people who will be losing a big source of income from this program ending, and I feel bad for them.  At this point in time, I'm not sure I will trust placing my time and effort into any other revenue share program.

However, if you write revenue share articles for EHow through Demand Studios, then you will not be affected by this change.  I currently have about 24 articles through there and they are doing fairly well.  I doubt if I will be adding any more though. 

Oh well, nothing lasts forever.  On to the next....  :)

Happy Writing,
Deanna

2011 Writer's Market

9 comments:

  1. I was sad to see the eHow WCP program end, I didn't have a lot of content but was making money on what I had written. I recently decided to get back to writing but have found the game has changed with Demand Studios. I applied but was turned down. Disappointed, yes, but I will find another venue for my articles and newer content. I am not letting eHow/DS have my content with their buyout program. Have you heard of Triond? I see Janet Ford is writing for them..aka Showpup @eHow http://www.triond.com/users/Janet+Ford
    Any thoughts on that site Deanna?
    Good seeing you again, it's been awhile.
    David aka rnmassage @ eHow

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bottom line is that you need control of your own content on your own site. The rules of the game have changed and content farms and writing for residual income for others is dead. Time to start working on your own sites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David
    Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I've had a lot of experience with Triond and I write quite a bit about it here on the blog (if you do a search you will find several posts). It was a good money-maker until Google's Panda dumped on it too. Now I'm back to making my few dollars a month there. Sorry to hear you didn't make it in at DS, but give it a try again, many people are turned down at first and then accepted later on.

    Hi Kidgas,

    Yes, you are right, the day of revenue share is fading fast and taking all our money with it. I think it's time for people to work on their own sites as well - better than giving your writing away for peanuts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna, even DemandStudios' rev-share is not what it once was. You can no longer create your own titles for the rev-share option. Instead, you can write DS-generated titles already marked rev-share and that's it. This basically eliminates the ability to do keyword research or write in your own niches.

    I do have some DS rev-share articles, earning over $100/ month, but of course those could be deleted if they so chose.

    It's definitely better to write for one's own properties -- the golden days of eHow's WCP are over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Maria,

    I know what you mean - my DMS rev share articles are not doing as well as they did in the beginning. I won't be adding to those now that I can't create my own titles. The titles available from DMS are not ones I would like writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Deanna, and in my experience their titles have not earned nearly as well as the ones I created.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deanna, I too got the email of the buyout offer. I've rather conflicted. They are offering me about what I made last year, but at the same time I don't like the feeling of signing away all my articles that I worked hard on. Esp. since I was never able to get accepted to DS, I'm leaning towards moving the relevant ones to my own blog and not selling them any of my content just to spite them money or not :P lol

    What about you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tim,

    I think everyone has to do what they feel is best for them. I was also offered a year's worth of income as a buyout, and for me that was a considerable amount. Since my articles have been on eHow for quite some time, and I have earned a good profit from them, then I don't mind taking the buyout and saying good-bye to them. If I think the subject matter of some of the articles is relevant, I can always write new articles on those topics for blogs or other sites. However, if I wasn't earning much from my articles and the buyout had been small, I may have just refused the buyout and taken the articles off. All you can do is what you think will work best for you in the long run. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deanna,

    About eHow buyout, do you have any idea if we choose to take the buyout payment if our names remain intact as writers, or do we lose writers credit for our name as well?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...