Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My New Experiment - Blogging in Association with DMS

By Svilen Milev Stock.Xchng
Hi all,
I was wandering around the DMS site one day and clicked on the Blogger link to see what it is all about. Maybe everyone has already checked this out and I'm slow, but I didn't know that DMS offered a chance to work together promoting a blog you already own. I checked out the FAQs and the terms and decided to apply with my Health News blog. A couple of days later my blog was accepted, I placed a code in it to allow DMS to "crawl" it and I was on my way.

What is DMS Blog Distribution Network?

DMS hooks up with already established blogs and places some of your posts or links to their sites with a bio and blog link information attached. If the blog posts are read on their site - you earn revenue share. If the reader clicks through the link to your blog - you earn money as usual from your own blog. Sounds simple enough. The only thing you have to ask yourself is: Do I want DMS to have access to my blog posts/articles and give them permission to place them wherever they want? I thought about this for awhile before applying and decided that for my Health News blog, it would probably be a win-win situation. Although the blog was getting some traffic on its own, I didn't think it would hurt if DMS sent a few people my way. If nothing else, I would earn some money with DMS revenue share on the blog posts they did use. If I don't earn a dime -then I'm not really out anything because I still own the blog and the right to post whatever I want to it without interference from DMS.

How to Apply

If you already have an account with Demand Media Studios, you will want to log in before applying so you don't have to set up a new account. Log in, click the blue "Account" tab, click the "Positions" tab, then click on "Blogger". This will get you to the application, FAQs, etc. If you are not a member of DMS, you can go to their web page and click on Bloggers, then apply.

I'd love to hear from anyone who is already a part of this program and what their experiences have been. Or, if you join, let us know how it is going for you.  I will update everyone on how it does for me and if I earn money from it throughout the next few months.


Happy Writing,
Deanna

Update 1/14/11

I found this post about the DMS blogger's agreement interesting. Be sure to read the post and the Comments. At first I thought I hadn't read the agreement properly (and panicked) but then saw that the blogger's post wasn't showing the correct terms of agreements. http://www.crimeandfederalism.com/2010/12/demand-media-scamming-bloggers.html

6 comments:

  1. Deanna, I’m still on the fence with this. I was considering adding one of my blogs to their program, but haven’t done so yet. Your post is a reminder that I should make a decision.

    I’d be interested to see how things work out with you. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, seems interesting. I would also like to hear what other people feel about this. I guess I could always do a search on google for reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping buy and leaving comments.

    Felicia - I was hesitant too, but decided it couldn't hurt. As of today, my blog has been picked up by a site called "Answer Bag 2010" and the "Chicago Sun Times". I haven't seen any residual income yet - but sometimes DMS is slow in posting it. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds intriguing. I currently have two blogs going. I'm not sure whether I will do it or not, but I do look forward to hearing how it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I found this post. I also have been considering adding my blog to DMS. I am actually a registered writer/content provider with them but I am hesitant about adding my blog, worrying that somehow, somewhere in the agreement I've missed something that says my content will no longer be mine. I have never had a problem being paid by them, they have always paid on time, issuing payments for articles written twice a week. I will be checking back to see what experiences other people have had.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...