Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Reaping the Benefits of Prior Work

Reap the benefits of all your hard work.
Photo: Christa Richert
Hi all,

Writing income does not always come right away.  In a perfect world, we'd write an article and get paid for our work that very day.  But for those of us trying to build up residual income, that isn't how it always happens.  Even if you write for magazines or some larger websites, you usually have to wait until after the article is published - sometimes up to 6 months - before you are paid.  So with writing, you are always working, working, working, and eventually you see your income come in.  That is what I've been doing all summer and into fall.

Suite101 Not So Profitable

First, I spent most of my summer increasing the number of articles I have at Suite101.  I'd like to say that all this work paid off - and it did at first - but the past two months my income there has gone down substantially.  I'm still happy I placed a large amount of articles there because I do believe that at some point the income will rise again, but all my hard work isn't reaping much reward right now.  Luckily, I didn't place all my proverbial eggs into one basket.

Constant-Content on the Rise

As you all know, Constant-Content is my second-best earner for the year so far and in September I spent my time adding full-rights articles to sell there and increase my income.  This month my work is paying off. I have sold two articles so far and I do earn some money from referrals as well.  Yes, it has been two months since I placed those articles for sale, but that is how it goes with CC.  This is why I think of CC as a type of residual income because I place articles there and they sell over time, adding to my income.  Many people who join CC become discouraged if their articles do not sell in a week or two.  You have to be patient and you will eventually see the money come in over time. 

Google Adsense

For the first time ever, I reached payout from my Google Adsense Account this month.  I have several sites that contribute to Google earnings including this blog, my Health News blog, Triond, Xomba, She Told Me, InfoPirate and a few others.  This blog and Triond are the biggest contributors to my Google account so far, but recently I am seeing an increase in earnings from Health News, She Told Me and Xomba.  This makes me very happy because it means all that time spent on my Health blog as well as the time I spent bookmarking at the other sites is finally paying off.  Just when you think a site will never earn any money, it suddenly does.  I hope to see my Google earnings continue to increase over time from all of these sites.

Demand Media Studio's EHow WCA Program

This month I decided to put some effort into contributing articles to EHow through Demand Media Studios (DMS) to see if the residual income is as good as it is with my older EHow articles.  I have only submitted 7 articles so far (been busy with other writing assignments) and it does take time for the articles to be reviewed, accepted and then placed on EHow to earn money.  I hope to have ten by the end of November so I can see how they do with earnings over the next few months.  If these articles seem to earn fairly well, I will add DMS/WCA articles to my list of residual earning sites.  I'll let you all know how the earnings are in the next couple of months.

Higher Paying Work as a Result of my Prior Writing Experience

Writing for various sites is a good way to earn money but it is also a good way to be seen, and possibly recruited, for other higher-paying writing assignments.  Because of my experience as a writer for Suite101, Constant-Content and other sites (even Associated Content and Demand Studios) I have been recruited by bigger websites to write articles for them.  I have also been able to apply to better paying sites and be accepted. Don't ever let anyone tell you (or believe it when you read it on snooty forums) that writing for residual income sites or "content mills" ( I just hate that term) will not get you better writing jobs in the future.  Good writing is appreciated no matter what site it is on and editors from other sites are always looking for good writers.  So remember that what you write today may be your stepping stone to higher-paying jobs in the future. My prior work is now paying off by letting me get those higher-paying assignments so I can work less, earn more, and spend more time writing what I want to write.

If you are just beginning your freelance writing career, or you have been toiling away at freelance writing and aren't yet at the earning level you want to be at, don't give up.  You may have to refocus your energy on sites where the payout is better but you will eventually see your hard work pay off.  Also, don't be afraid to try new sites, or apply to higher-paying writing sites because you think you don't have enough experience. You may be surprised at what opportunities you can come upon if you are willing to go out and find them.

Happy Writing,

Deanna

2011 Writer's Market Deluxe Edition (Writer's Market Online)

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on reaching AdSense payout. That is a great milestone and should start occurring more and more frequently for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful and encouraging information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanna, it sounds like you're really picking up steam. Congrats on making AdSense payout. Isn't that a great feeling?

    The best part of this whole writing thing is that YOU did the work and YOU are getting paid for it. Your boss didn't do it and can't take credit for it.

    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all who commented. I was thrilled to reach Adsense payout and hope it comes a lot faster next time. I hope things continue to grow as the year draws to a close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen a lot of those snooty comments regarding residual income sites, and I just ignore them. EHow (where I have 29 articles published) helped me get my current gig with Patch.com. I also continue to earn an average of $20 per month with EHow, and haven't posted any new articles since the changes took place (the whole DS thing). I have one article on EHow that has earned over $90 (and it only took me 2 hours to write)-you just can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Just Another Girl,
    Thanks for visiting. I think it's great you work for Patch.com and really enjoy it. (Saw your other comment about Patch.) I know what you mean about the residuals at EHow. I have earned over $140 on one article alone there over the past year and a half. I have several that are in the $50 to $100 range too. I wish the old program on EHow was still open! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this site. I visited your site and then started writing for Demand Studios and it's paying off. I also sold one on Constant Content...I really have to write more for that now.
    But most of all I'm loving it! Thanks again for all your help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Aimless Writer,
    Congrats on the article sale at CC and working at Demand Studios. I'm happy to hear the information from this blog helped you. I love knowing that people are able to find a way to do what they love from reading this blog. Good luck with your writing career!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...