Thursday, July 29, 2010

Gave Demand Studios' eHow WCA a Try

Hi all,

Well, never say never.  That's what I said when eHow closed its doors on its writers and moved its whole operation to Demand Studios (DS).  I really thought I'd never even try writing a Writer Created Assignment (WCA) for eHow through DS, but I finally did.  Encouraged by Felicia's post at No Job for Mom, I decided it couldn't hurt to try writing and submitting a "How to" article for eHow through DS.  I was pleasantly surprised by the process and the result.

Submitting an eHow Article through Demand Studios

Since I have written articles for DS in the past, and haven't had many good experiences doing so, I was really hesitant to try writing my own eHow title and article and submitting it.  I figured the editors would be extremely picky and rude as they have been in the past.  However, my eHow earnings (from previous articles) have continued to do very well and I have always wondered if the income would be just as good through the new DS process.  After reading Felicia's post, I decided it was time to try it and see for myself how easy/hard it would be.

I signed into the new account that DS created for me when they closed down the Writer's Compensation Program (WCP) at eHow and submitted my article.  The format is very similar to the old eHow submission form except for a few changes.  One very nice change is that DS has photos to choose from to add to the articles, so you don't have to waste time anymore searching the web for free photos.  I finished submitting the article very late that night.  To my surprise, I had a response from an editor that next morning requesting a few re-writes.  Before writing the article, I had read the updated guidelines for "How to" articles and tried my best to follow them.  The editor only needed a few things changed to tighten up the sentences, so I did these and re-submitted.  Later that same day the article was accepted.  So, in under 24 hours the article had been reviewed, re-written, and accepted.  I thought that was pretty amazing. My past experience has been that it takes several days for an article at DS to be reviewed.

The editor I worked with was very nice and helpful.  He/she gave tips on ways to tighten sentences even more or re-arrange sentences in order to get the point across in fewer words. ( I do tend to go on and on...).  DS has a very specific way that they want their "How to" articles written.  It isn't exactly how I like to write, but I can do it if the end result (the pay) is good.  Now that I have submitted one article, I understand exactly what they want and shouldn't have a problem doing the same with other eHow articles in the future.

Will I Continue Writing for DS-eHow?

Now that I have finally tried writing an eHow article through DS, I will probably do a few more to see how the income is.  If it is anything like my previous eHow account, I will be very happy with it.  As "How to" article subjects pop into my head, I will try adding them but right now I won't make a huge effort trying to load dozens of articles onto DS.  I've been very busy building up my income at Suite101, and have been pleased with the results, so I will continue to do that for the rest of the summer. However, it is nice to know there are other options out there that could be lucrative.  And I have always found writing eHow articles to be fun. 

Are you writing for eHow through DS? What have your experience with them been like?  Would love to hear from all of you.

Happy Writing,
Deanna

2011 Writer's Market

4 comments:

  1. How do you feel DS WCA compares to Suite101 or AC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,

    Good question. I can't really compare the DS/WCA program yet because I have only written one article for that program. As for writing the article, I found it fairly easy and it only took me about 1/2 hour to write it. When I write for Suite, I usually spend at least 1-2 hours on each article because of all the research I do. If I do write more articles for the DS/WCA program, I'll let you all know what the income potential is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I currently write for Demand Studios and am pretty happy with it thus far (started in May) and what I like the most are the paychecks twice a week. My biggest complaint is the inconsistencies in editing. When I see corrections from an editor, I make sure to do the "right" thing on my next article...only to have another editor change it all back and tell me that I was wrong! That is so extremely frustrating and I know that it is a big issue for others who write for Demand Studios, but this is how I look at it...these articles are assignments and not my "heart and soul" writing and as long as I'm getting paid (no matter what the editor says is right or wrong)...I'm fine with it for now. I guess time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stacy,
    Thanks for stopping by and sharing. You have the right attitude about writing for Demand Studios. I have been writing article for them for 2 years now and I get discouraged with the editors and stop, then try again. That was why it took me so long to try writing a Writer Created Assignment. I need to try to look at it the way you do - not to get upset since I am writing for them, not me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...