Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Experts123 Writing Site

Hi all,

Last month I started writing for a new site that I found interesting.  It's called Experts123 and they offer several ways to earn money writing for their site.  I applied and was accepted right away as a "Premier" writer, so I was able to write for all aspects of the site.  I waited until I received payment to make sure everything was legit before telling you about the site.

About Experts123

I'm not sure how long Experts123 has been around, no more than a year from what I can find out.  However, they have been growing all along and are continually adding new features as they grow.  This is a beta site - so that means it is in the start-up phases, but with the way the site has been growing I doubt if it will fold up and stop business anytime soon.  Experts123 is a question/answer site where users ask questions and users can answer them in article format.  However, Experts123 has other options too, such as writing articles for revenue share, writing articles for up-front pay and their new option, choosing a topic and writing articles on that topic for revenue share.

Writing for Experts123

At Experts123 there are three ways you can write for their site.  You can join the site as a user to read questions, ask questions and answer questions.  There is no payment for this but you can promote yourself and your buisness in your profile.  Another way to join the site is to apply for an Expert Contributor position.  As an Expert Contributor, you will be allowed to choose revenue share articles to write from their list of available articles.  Generally, you will have to write several revenue share articles before you are upgraded to a Premier Contributor.  As a Premier Contributor you are able to choose work-for-hire articles that pay an up-front fee of $8 to $20 per article once it is accepted. 

This past week Experts123 began a new program that they are offering to their writers where you can apply for a topic, and once approved, begin writing articles on that topic for revenue share income.  Since I haven't written any revenue share articles, I can't tell you how well revenue share pays.  I am currently waiting for my chosen topic to be approved so I can try this new feature.

My Experience with Experts123

When I applied for Experts123 I was automatically made a Premier Contributor and was allowed to choose from both up-front pay articles and revenue share articles.  The application approval only took about 2 days. I have written two work-for-hire articles for Experts123 and both have been approved and payment has been sent to me.  The process is much like Demand Studios.  You search a list of articles available, choose one, and you generally have 24 hours in which to write and submit the article.  There are different styles, such as "How to" and "General" articles to choose from.  Currently, there are about 300 articles available for up-front pay and the payment is between $8 and $20, with most being in the $10 to $11 range.  Article length is between 350 to 600 words and Experts123 owns all rights once they have paid you.  Right now, the up-front pay articles being offered are mostly about cars, insurance and home repair with a few health and lifestyle articles here and there. I am hoping that as the site grows, the topics will expand also.


Once finished, you submit the article for review.  They do allow you one more chance to edit the article if there is a problem.  I've only had to edit one of my two articles and I found the editor to be very encouraging and polite about the changes.   

Payment for articles occurs at the beginning of the month after approval (around the 5th) and once you have reached the $20 minimum.  I wrote two articles and was already over the minimum, so it is easy to reach it.  They pay through PayPal.  (There may be other payment options; however I couldn't find it on the site.)

I found the site easy to use and understand, however I've had experience with several sites and after awhile they are all basically the same, so it was easy for me.  What impressed me most was how personal the acceptance e-mail was after I applied.  The person who had approved my application had also taken the time to look over my blog and get to know me as a person.  They have been very encouraging and polite, which is something I haven't found to be true of larger sites.  In all, I had fun writing articles for Experts123 and will probably continue writing for them as a way to generate a little up-front pay.

I have searched the site and could not find if they accept writers from other countries.  They did not ask for a Social Security number, so I suggest that writers from other countries apply and see what happens.  If anyone finds out their policy, please let me know.

Update 3/15/2011: I just wanted to update you on my experience with Experts123.  I have been a member and an Expert since June 2010 and I have 6 revenue share articles posted there.  I have not earned any money from any of my articles on Experts123.  Now, I realize that 6 articles is not very many, but to not earn anything at all in all these months tells me that maybe my time is better spent elsewhere.  Even at Orato.com, where the earnings aren't high, I've earned some money from the 6 articles I have there.  I'd love to hear from other Expert123 writers to hear if you've earned any money there with Revenue Share articles.


On the Homefront

Our family recently took in two kittens (brothers) who were left to die on the road in our rural area.  (Here is a picture of them.)  They were only about 5 weeks old when they were dumped.  My daughter's boyfriend found them at midnight on a country road - in the middle of the road - and brought them home to us (because we are suckers for all animals).  We knew instantly that they had been in a home right before being dumped because they were very clean and had already been trained to use a litter box.  Unfortunately, this occurs way too often in our neck of the woods because people let their pet cats run and don't bother to fix them, then when kittens come along they dump them in the woods.  So please, spay or neuter your cats, and if you don't, take responsibility for any kittens that come along.  We have a city pound and a county humane society, yet these animals still end up on the road.  Yes, we have decided to keep these two kittens - couldn't bear to seperate them - so now we are a 4 cat household.  This will be interesting. :)

Happy writing,
Deanna

Getting Started as a Freelance Writer, Expanded Edition (Culture Tools)

14 comments:

  1. Those cats are so precious (but don't tell anybody that I said so).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this site. I just applied. I have not written much for pay, other than a few articles here and there.

    I found in their TOS that they do require a W9, but more than likely that is only if you reach the $600 mark in any given year. Under $600 does not have to be reported.

    I hope that they pay as good as the $10 per article. If so, I will put full time into writing for them. I figure I will try to write for them as long as they are paying well.

    I had just started with eHow a couple of weeks before they closed. My hope is that this one will accept me and I can make a little money. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kidgas,
    Yes, they are adorable. It's been about 9 years since we've had a tiny kitten in the house - now we have two. I forgot how busy they were - and since they have each other to play with, things get kind of crazy here sometimes. The two older cats have taken to the kittens quite well - considering they are all male. I never expected to own 4 cats at once - just goes to show that you should "never say never". :)

    Hi Sudzy,

    Thanks for visiting. Hope you enjoy writing for Experts123. Thanks for sharing about them needing a W9. I read the TOS but didn't catch that. You'd think they would tell you that when you sign up. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there :)

    I am following you from MBC. I hope you'll drop by and follow me too.

    http://mylifewithratsandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to drop in for an update. After applying and submitting 3 of my Ezine Articles for my samples, I was also given Premier Contributor status. I submitted my first article for up-front pay.

    In my acceptance email, they also requested that I apply to become a writer for a particular are of expertise, so I am waiting approval on that.

    It looks like they may be trying to become something like about.com, which could have huge potential if you are in early.

    The only thing I don't like at the moment is that they limit you to how many articles you can write while waiting on approval of your previous article. That may change over time and with trust.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sudzy,
    Thanks for the update. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the info. I found this post when I did a search for "How long does it take to get approved by experts123", as I just submitted my application with them. I'll have to check out the rest of your blog and link it into the one I'm keeping about my experiments with freelance writing. If you want to check it out, you can find it at http://frelancewritingfun.blogspot.com

    I'm curious to know, of all the different services you've used to share and promote your writing, which you've had the bast luck with in terms of payment.

    Thanks Again and Good Luck!
    Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nikki,
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I did stop by your blog and joined. I will try to answer your question - not sure what you mean by "services" used to share and promote writing. For promotion of articles on other sites I use StumbleUpon, Blinklist and Digg, Twitter and Facebook. I opened a Facebook page just for my writing and left it open to all users. Sites that pay Google Adsense money for promoting articles that I use are Xomba, SheToldMe and Snipsly. If you meant which sites I write for where I make the most money that is easy - Constant-Content, eHow and Suite101. Hope this helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Deanna,
    I applied, was accepted, so on and so forth, and was recently approved for an expert column in public speaking. Did you get your area of expertise approved? If so, what has been your experience with that so far? I'd love to hear how it's going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lauren,
    Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, I was approved at Experts123 as the Alternative Health Expert, but I haven't written anything for them yet. I have been so busy building articles at Suite101 that I haven't made time for other writing lately. I do plan on trying a few articles in the future and see how it goes. Have you submitted any yet for your expertise?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Regarding Experts123.. I have about as many articles as you have, I promote them heavily, have had some views and sill no money after several months. Is there a secret somewhere to it? Such as I see NO place to add my adsense code to assure ad revenue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anonymous,

    I have yet to earn any money from my revenue share articles at Experts123 too, even though they do get several hits each per month. They don't pay through Adsense, they pay your directly through PayPal if your earnings are $20 or more. Since I show no earnings after a year - not even a dollar or two - I can't see adding any more articles there or spending any more time at Experts123.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Experts 123 is NOT PAYING anything for revenue share. In fact, everyone I know that does revenue share articles DOES NOT get paid anything for those. Even thou the site claims that you get revenue share. I have over 100 hits on my 20 revenue share articles with them and not 1 cent paid. This is NOT a good way to build a reputation with excellent writers when your attempting to build your online presence. Just my .02

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the comment. It helps others decide if Experts123 is worth their time if they know that some people are not earning revenue share money. As far as I know, they pay on their up-front pay articles on a timely basis. So if people are interested in writing for Experts123, it may be best to write up-front pay articles only.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...