Friday, March 5, 2010

Break Studios - Now Offering Freelance Writing Jobs

Hi all,

If you are looking for another place to earn money writing, you may want to consider Break Studios.   Much like Demand Studios, Break Studios is looking for writers to write content for the many websites that they own.  Here is the breakdown...

Who is Break Studios

Break Studios is associated with the mostly male websites Break.com, Madmen.com, Chickipedia.com, Screenjunkies.com, Cagepotato.com, AllLeftTurns.com and HolyTaco.com.  They have recently set up a format much like Demand Studios where you apply to become a writer and, once accepted, you can choose from a list of articles available.  Beware, some of the content they want is X-rated, while other content is just regular, everyday articles. 

Applying for Break Studios

Break Studios is looking for writers who have some experience and possibly a sense of humor.  The application consists of supplying a resume, examples of your writing and telling them something interesting about yourself.  They also ask you what subjects you are interested in writing about.  You also have to create a login name and password and supply them with your PayPal e-mail.  After you submit your application, you wait for it to be accepted or denied.  As far as I can tell, Break Studios only accepts U.S. writers.

Payment at Break Studios

Break Studios doesn't tell you how much they pay per article before you apply or even after you apply.  Because of this, I went in search of someone who writes for Break Studios to find out and I found this article at All Freelance Writing.  If what they say is true, Break Studios only pays around $8 an article.  This is a little more than TextBroker and a little less than Demand Studios.  However, if the articles don't take too long to write and are fun, maybe the $8 is okay.  It all depends upon where you are with your writing career and how much you enjoy writing for them

Payment is said to take place (according to the TOS) 45 days after publication and payment is made through PayPal.  According to the article on All Freelance Writing, they pay sometime during the next month after the article is accepted.  Not exactly exact, but it does sound as if they do eventually pay you.

What do I Think?

If it is true that Break Studios only pays $8 per article, then I'm not sure if I would spend much time there.  I did put in an application and am waiting for my acceptance or rejection.  I am not exactly the type of person they are probably looking for to write for them, so I won't be surprised if I am rejected (especially if they read this post).  If I am accepted, I will check out the list of articles available and decide if it is a good fit for me.

It never hurts to try a new writing site, even if you think the pay is low. Sites do grow and sometimes even begin paying more.  If this sounds like an interesting site, you should give it a try and find out for yourself.

Happy Writing,
Deanna

3/5/10 Update - I was accepted as a writer for Break Studios only 12 hours after applying.  From what I can see, they do only pay $8 per article.  However, the word count for articles are between 250 and 700 words.  I have read their writer's guidelines, which are very similar to Suite101 and Demand Studios.  I plan on trying a couple of articles to see how it goes.  I picked titles that would be easy for me to write quickly so that it is worth the small payment.  I'll let you know how the entire process pans out. :)

More blog posts on Break Studios:

My First Article Rewrite at Break Studios
Break Studios Update
My Two Published Articles at Break Studios




Deluxe Hosting Go DEconomy Price from GoDaddy.com!

26 comments:

  1. Hmm, this looks interesting, I may have to check it out!
    Following from Friday Follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm going to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the info, I have been thinking about applying there. Keep us updated

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the info. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is interesting, I've not heard of Break Studios before. I'd be interested in having a guest post on my blog about the site from someone with some experience on the site. Could be a good chance to promote your blog or whatever you want to link to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments. I'll let everyone know how it goes when I hear back from Break Studios about the two articles I submitted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deanna, what happened with those two articles? Were they approved?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, both articles were finally approved. You can read about it in one of my blog posts http://writemoms.blogspot.com/2010/03/break-studios-update.html

    Thanks for asking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learned a lot from this post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just approved yesterday to write for Break Studios. As a new writer, I do appreciate the fact that the articles they have available are easy topics. I am not counting on this for full time income, but it not bad when things are slow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Steve,
    I hope it goes well for you at Break Studios. I found it to be a good experience. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bad experiences with Break Studios paying on time. According to their FAQ, they pay on the 1st and 15th of each month for work accepted at least 4 days prior to the cutoff. If the pay dates fall on a weekend or holiday, they pay the next business day. Today is 'the next business day' after the 15th and there still isn't a payment in my PayPal account from articles accepted at the beginning of the month. Kind of makes me wonder.........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the update. I only wrote two articles for Break Studios but they did pay me after the 1st of the month after the articles were approved. I am sure you will be paid, however you will probably have to wait until June 1st. Let us know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. $8 an article isn't up to your standards? I hate to break it to you, but doing something as easy as writing online isn't going to get any more luxurious than that. Besides, you only have to write a minimum of 250 words. That's a pretty good deal if you ask me! I write there about 3-4 hours a day and I make really good money.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Break Writer,
    I never said that $8 an article wasn't "up to my standards" - I only said that it isn't the highest paying site out there. It's great that you can write so many articles each day and do well at Break Studios. I wrote and published two articles at Break Studios just to give it a try and I found it a good experience. However, if I want to write a format article like the ones at Break Studios, then I may as well go back to Demand Studios and make $15 per article. Textbroker is currently offering higher paying articles too. And I can earn $20 to $50 per article (after they take their cut) at Constant-Content. So as I said before - Break Studios is a good site to write for but you can make more money elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't like writing for a living, but I do like proofreading, QA, editing, transcription and other media-related jobs.

    Do you know if Break Studios is like Demand Studios and has other freelance jobs?

    I do QA for DS and I make as much or more than I did at a regular day job and I love working from home and controlling how much I earn.

    I found this blog from No Job For Mom. Thank you for posting this information. I'm following you and look forward to more posts, but I'm not very good at keeping up with a blog unless I can subscribe via email. I don't see a widget here for that. If you could add it and let me know, I'd certainly appreciate it. I don't like readers very much and prefer email. I have the step-by-step directions for BlogSpot to add the Subscribe Via Email widget; if you'd like the directions, just contact me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Victoria,
    Thanks for visiting and joining my blog. I double-checked Break Studios but it doesn't look like they are hiring editors at this time. However, if I were you, I'd send them an e-mail through their Contact Me link and ask about being hired as an editor or some other type of work. I usually get an answer from BS quickly when I e-mail them, so you should to.

    I added a Subscription box at the bottom of my blog so you can now subscribe to posts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just started writing for Break Studios and I love it! The three HUGE advantages for me are:

    1. The editors at Break Studios are much more relaxed (unlike CC and DS) and won't waste everyone's time by sending articles back for tiny little corrections (they just make them).
    2. The writing style Break Studios wants is fun and can include humor to show off my (sparkling...lol) personality.
    3. The subjects are easy to write about, (generally "how to" type format) and articles can be as few as 250 words.

    I don't calculate my wage by article, I figure it by the hour. I can generally write 2-3 Break Studios articles an hour as opposed to just one at other sites like CC so, for me, it's better pay. The only caveat to that is if CC has requests available about things I am very familiar with and can skip researching.

    I am only ranked a 4 at Textbroker though (are you a 5 - HOW did you do that?!?!?!?). =)

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Leah,
    Thanks for visiting and commenting. Yes, I agree that the Break Studios editors are much easier to work with compared to DS - at least that is my experience. I'm happy to hear you are enjoying writing for them.

    I don't write for Textbroker anymore, although I did enjoy it while I was there. No, I am not a 5, I ranked a 4 there, but I saw that they were offering higher paying articles for 5s there now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Deanna,

    I just read this at the Textbroker site:

    "If you have written a minimum of 5 to 10 articles for us and have continuously received a 4-star rating, contact support to request a 5-star qualification."

    This is pretty exciting for the likes of me, since I'm just starting out!

    I love your blog - keep up the amazing work!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's good to hear, Leah. I hope you get that 5 rating. I know when they do have 5s available the money can be pretty good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I write for Break and LOVE IT!
    When you break down the word requirements, the pay level is actually very close to DS. The difference is, the editing process is clearly superior. No rewrites for CE opinion or to add a coma.
    I've never had a problem with payment.
    You have to make sure you are aware of how and when the payments are issued. They do not count weekends as days, so the cut-offs and pay days are not the same each month. Once you get the hang of this concept, it is simple.
    It is not for everyone.
    Those who like writing internet sulled information for DS often have a problem with Break. It requires a bit more creativity and free thought, not to mention the dreaded opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been writing for Break Studios for about 5 months now, and here's the skinny. It's a pretty legitimate website, BUT don't expect to make too much with the site. It's pretty well known with freelance writing that you will make more with the more that you write. Not so with Break Studios. If you're serious about earning a decent income online, don't rely solely on this site.

    Basically, I've had months where I've worked myself to death to make phat checks, but the review time is so annoyingly slow that I made around $150 on average every two weeks. Pretty annoying when you're working overtime to see big results. For example, I write about 6 articles on average a day, and Break MIGHT accept 2 to 3 a day (some days, there will be no acceptances at all). Not exactly the turnaround rate I'm looking for.

    To make the best of my time at Break, I basically have slowed my work to about 1 article a day and I leave the majority of the day's work for Textbroker because the acceptance rate is so much faster there.

    Basically, leave Break Studios for a tad bit of extra income, and don't invest all of your time into it unless you feel like living like a bum.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been writing occasionally for Break Studios for several months, and I agree with the previous poster about how it works. The titles are generally fun and easy to write, but the pay is crap at $8 per article.

    The review time is very slow and they are also slow to pay. Sometimes, it seems like they intentionally hold and approve articles after the pay cut-off so they don't have to pay you for another several weeks.

    The editors seem pretty relaxed, but I have encountered one that was extremely vague, condescending, and rude. Receiving a rejection that says, "Read the guidelines" is grossly unhelpful. I've never dealt with that sort of behavior from a magazine editor. Maybe I am spoiled after writing for "real" publications, but it seems that the editors will ask for re-writes on things that they should be doing themselves.

    They have bizarre formatting guidelines that require you to repeat a keyword phrase 6-10 times in your article. The keyword stuffing can seem very forced when your article is only 250 words.

    I'm not sure that I will continue to write/waste time with Break Studios in the future, but it is has been somewhat fun.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just wondering how long it took to get approved as a writer? I applied about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything?!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Claire,

    I was approved after only 12 hours but that was a year ago. I only wrote about 3 articles there and then stopped - the pay isn't worth the trouble since you can make $15/article at Demand Media Studios (however I don't write there anymore either). If they haven't contacted you in 3 weeks, I'd e-mail them and and ask what is going on with your application.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...