Monday, June 15, 2009

E-How and My Shameless Promotion of Myself


Hi all,

Update: 4/21/10 - as many of you already know, eHow is no longer accepting writers to write articles directly to their site.  Now a writer must first apply to Demand Studios and be accepted before being allowed to submit articles to eHow.  They still have a residual income program and I am sure it is just as good as it was before, but you must do all your work through DS.

Well, in another shameless attempt at promoting my writing on this blog (sorry) I have added a widget from e-How to highlight my articles there. I only have three there so far, but hope to finish up at least 5-10 more before the end of the month. I decided to join e-How after reading Willow Sidhe's blog (http://freelancehomewriter.blogspot.com/). She has had very good luck there with residual earnings and I am willing to try it. I think it would be wonderful to have enough in residual income each month at the various sites so I can collect that money as I finish my book. It's always fun to set new goals, and that is mine this summer. Besides finishing my book and keeping up my blog, I hope to add many new articles to Suite101 and e-How to see just how high my monthly payments can grow.


For those who do not know, e-How is a writing site in which you get paid per click view on your articles. While that doesn't always sound profitable, and at some sites is not, e-How pays well per click, enough to make writing these quick and easy articles worth the time. All of e-How's articles start with "How to.....". So, you can write just about anything as long as it is in a How to format. You have to write a small intro paragraph outlining your article, then you write the rest of the article in steps, as in Step 1, Step 2, etc. So, lets say you want to write "How to Teach Your Child Manners". You write the intro paragraph stating the purpose of the article. Then you write, "Step 1 - Start teaching manners to your child at an early age. Blah, blah, blah." Each step should be somewhere around 50 - 75 words. It's as simple as that. At the very end they do ask for additional resources, so include at least one of the resources you used in writing the article. Also, add photos. Photos enhance articles. You can find these at many different free photo sites, just be sure to credit the site and photographer. Willow has an article on e-How that gives sites where you can find free photos. Just click here to see it.


For those of us with hundreds of articles already writen for one site or another, writing for e-How is fairly simple. I take a subject I've already researched and write an article about it for e-How. It is still an original article and passes CopyScape as original (never plagiarize anyone's articles, not even your own) so I am not stealing from myself. But if I have taken the time to research a subject, I use it to its full extent to make money.


Rights to the article are retained by you, e-How only asks that you place the article with their site first before distributing it to other sites. Therefore, to make extra money, you could write a How to article for e-How, then use the same info and just change the format to paragraphs and place it on Associated Content. Personally, I'd wait a couple of months before spreading it around so I could get the most amount of clicks on e-How for it. But you can do whatever works for you. I have seen many writers place their articles all over the Internet (legally) and earn clicks from several sites for the same article. It's all in what you feel comfortable with. Also, always read the guidelines at every site to make sure you can place previously published articles on their site.


One more word of advice; if you are writing for several websites and are placing your articles all over it is best to use the same writer's name on each of these sites. Plagiarism is rampant on the Internet and sites such as AC, Suite101, and e-How are always checking to make sure you actually own the material. If you are using different names, eventually your articles will be pulled. Try to stick to one writing name to save everyone the confusion.


Happy writing

DeAnna
P.S. The photo above is just one of the many clusters of birch trees in my front yard. I love birch trees! They make such good backgrounds for family pictures.

5 comments:

  1. This is great information. I will be looking into e-how. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think eHow is a great way to build a residual income online! I've actually had some good success with affiliate marketing there in addition to the monthly eHow earnings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You keep me writing every day. Please stop by my blog, I have an award for you.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi DeAnna,
    thanks so much for stopping by and grabbing my button, i'm always so happy when ppl reciprocate. bwe, this is such a great idea, now i just need enough time in the day to write, read other ppls blogs, and o yes take care of my family! lol stay cool! :)
    shelley
    http://theplaygroundprincess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...