Sunday, May 31, 2009

Help with Grammar, Conciseness and Much More

Hi all,

Well, we survived my daughter's graduation as well as the many relatives and friends who attended the open house and had a great time. Our daughter graduated with honors and also already has one year of college under her belt, thanks to the wonderful PSEO program through the high school for honor students. She will be attending college in the fall right here in our town and we are very proud of her accomplishments. Now that all the hoopla is over, I can get back to my writing and my blog.


Before I begin my series on novel writing, I wanted to pass an important site along to all of you writers in case you haven't already found it. It is called "Owl at Purdue" and contains almost everything you need to help you with your grammar, conciseness, sentence structure, proper word use and just about everything else. Even seasoned writers find they have to look up a word or the use of a word now and then. Or perhaps you need a refresher course on commas, semi-colons or quotation marks. Maybe you need help with when to use italics instead of quotation marks. Whatever you need you will find it at this website. Click on the title to go to the site, then click on the "Professional Writers" link in the box on the left. You will find a list of items that can help you with your writing. You may want to bookmark this site so you can use it over and over again. It is also a good site for middle and high school students to use.


I hope to begin my series on novel writing this Monday or Tuesday, so be sure to come back and visit. I hope all of you have your own novels out and ready, or for those of you just starting a novel, get that computer fired up! We can help each other finish those novels!


UPDATE ON SUITE101

I now have five articles on Suite101 and so far I find it a good experience. I like that the editors there expect a well-written aritcle in a consistant format and that they do flag an article that does not follow their standards. I have only had one of the five flagged, my first one, and since then have not had to edit any of the others. They have very specific guidelines, but that makes it easier because you know what is expected of you. I would recommend this site to anyone who has had experience writing and who has the time to fulfil the contract obligations of at least 10 articles every 3 months. While I cannot discuss in detail how much they pay, I can say that the pay is higher than Associated Content. However, you will need to publish several articles before you see it pay off fairly well. It is a good experience and a great way to generate a portfolio of articles.


Demand Studios

As if I don't have enough to do, I recently applied for, and was approved for, a position as a writer for Demand Studios. This site offers work to write articles for various sites around the Internet. They post articles that are needed and the payment they will pay you for each article. The prices they pay that I have seen so far are between $5.00 - $20.00 per article, depending upon the type of article it is. They review the articles after you submit them and then pay you each week. There is a wide variety of articles to choose from at any given time, so it looks to be a great place for writers. I have not yet chosen or submitted an article for payment, but will tell you how it goes after I have.

The application process for Demand Studios is quiet detailed, so be prepared to have a writing sample and a resume available to download. Also, be prepared to wait anywhere from one week to two months to receive a response to your application. I was lucky, they notified me in less than 4 days. Once you are accepted you are also asked for tax information as they send out 1099's if you earn $600 or more in one year.

As I learn more about this site, I will share it with you.


Happy writing,
DeAnna


1 comment:

  1. Hello! Thanks for adding my button to your blog. I look forward to learning great things from your blog and I've added your button to mine.
    partymix25(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...